Art Competition Rules
BECOMING A MEMBER OF CONTEMPORARY ART GALLERY ONLINE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL, AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
The following are the rules for entering into any of Contemporary Art Gallery Online Monthly Art Competitions and Exhibitions. Please read the rules and the procedures in order to apply properly. Please try to follow the theme of each monthly competition, as this is the most important aspect for the artist to consider. If you have any questions regarding the theme and its interpretation, please contact us at CAGO.ArtCompetition@gmail.com and we will help you with the application process.
1. Agreement to Official Rules
Participation in the Art Competition constitutes entrants full and unconditional agreement to and acceptance of these Official Rules and the decisions of the Sponsor, which are final and binding. Winning a prize is contingent upon being compliant with these Official Rules and fulfilling all other requirements set forth herein.
Contemporary Art Gallery Online (the Art Competition) is open to legal adults both residing in the United States and the District of Columbia, as well as internationally, who are at least eighteen (18) years of age at the time of entry. Employees of Contemporary Art Gallery Online and other companies associated with the promotion of the Art Competition, and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates and advertising and promotion agencies as well as the immediate family (spouse, parents, siblings, and children) and household members of each such employee are not eligible. The Art Competition is subject to federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Paintings must be created in physical media (no digital "paintings"). Acceptable media would include: oil, watercolor, pastel, acrylic, etc. Note – this pertains to monthly Art Competitions that explicitly state “No Photography”. Experimental and mixed techniques are also acceptable.
- Art Calls are open to all Amateur and Professional artists.
- 2D and 3D work is eligible.
- Each file submitted, must be in a jpeg format.
- You may submit the same painting in different months, unless it has won previously.
- You may enter paintings that have won art Art Competition awards in other shows.
- Your painting must be your own original concept and not a copy of anyone else’s copyrighted material.
- You may only submit your own artworks that you, personally painted.
- If there is any question about authenticity; Contemporary Art Gallery Online reserves the right to demand proof of authorship....if it's not then your entry will be disqualified.
The Art Competition is sponsored by Contemporary Art Gallery Online, located at 3 Church Circle, Annapolis, Maryland 21401.
4. Art Competition Period
The Art Competition begins on the Specified Date at 7:00 am EST and ends on the Specified Date at 11:59 pm EST (the Art Competition Period). Entries that are submitted before or after the Art Competition Period will be disqualified. Submissions will be accepted for the duration of the Art Competition using any of the following methods: Submitting to the online website only.
5. How to Enter
Online: This method of entry will be available by visiting our website at www.contemporaryartgalleryonline.com and following the directions provided. Completing the entry form in its entirety, uploading the compliant images as detailed below, making payment by credit or debit card and submitting.
6. Payment of Entry Fee
Payments are made online through PayPal and the artist does not need to have a PayPal account in order to make payment. The payment option is located on the entry form. Currently the fees are $15 for 3 images and $25 for 5 images.
NOTE: There Will Be No Return of Any Entry Fees
7. Image Preparation
Prepare your images as required before beginning the submission process. Submissions are only accepted via the online process. Submissions as email attachments, on CD, or prints are not allowed in this competition and will not be returned.
Digital image files must meet the following specifications:
- JPG files only
- Do not send images of your artwork which has been framed or contains watermarks.
- Contemporary Art Gallery Online may color correct your images in order to enhance the overall presentation.
- Contemporary Art Gallery Online may crop your images for formatting purposes for use in their slide show presentations, other off-site slide shows, YouTube presentations, other Contemporary Art Gallery Online presentations and for other areas of the website if your images are chosen.
- The sizing and labeling of your images is very important. Label your image files in the following manner; last name, image name, medium used, price. Here is an Example: Brown, Bird in the Wind, Oil on canvas, 2011, $275
- Complete the entire form and load all three (3) or five (5) images before sending the upload. If the submitted images are not sized properly, the artist understands that Contemporary Art Gallery Online may have to crop the images to conform to the format constraints.
- The file name may not include characters such as #, $, &, periods or other similar characters as part of the file, and it is important to follow these instructions about the file name to allow the right storage into the image database.
- Image name may not exceed 40 characters. Note: the image name is the name of the artwork, not the file name.
8. Winner Notification
On or about the 10th day, following the close of a competition, the Sponsor will announce the winners along with all eligible entries received. The annoucement date for each month is located on the prospectus. The odds of being selected depend on the number of entries received. The Sponsor will attempt to notify the potential winner via email on or about the 10th day, following the close of a competition. The promotional items and award certificates will be emailed, no later than the 15th of the following month.
Grand Prize (1) - Certificate, Promotion, Promotional Materials for Artist' Portfolio, Radio Interview, YouTube Promotion, Press Releases, Permanent Gallery Placement, Inclusion in the 2014 CAGO Anthology Book, Permanent Listing in the Art Art Competition Archives.
2nd Place Winner (1) - Certificate, Promotional Materials for Artist' Portfolio, Promotion, Radio Interview, Gallery Placement for one year, Inclusion in the 2014 CAGO Anthology Book, Permanent Listing in the Art Art Competition Archives.
3rd Place Winner (1) - Certificate, Promotional Materials for Artist' Portfolio, Radio Interview, Gallery Placement for six months, Inclusion in the 2014 CAGO Anthology Book, Permanent Listing in the Art Art Competition Archives.
Honorable Mentions - There will be 5 to 10 honorable mentions depending on the number of Art Competition entrants.
10. Acceptance Notification
Everyone whose image(s) are not chosen for the exhibition will receive an email notification. All other participants will also receive an email with the results of the competition.
11. Criteria for Judging
Based on the artwork submitted to our competitions, they will be judged based on the following elements of artistic expression:
1. Interpretation and the clarity of the theme to the viewer.
2. Creativity and originality of the depicted theme.
3. Quality of artistic composition and overall design based on the theme.
4. Overall impression of the art. What is the effect of the artwork in general and as a whole?
5. Overall, does the artwork stand on its own as a complete and outstanding work of art?
The Jurors of the exhibitions are Michael T. Harris, Barbori Streibl, Kelsey Hails, Anisa Harris, Portia Webb, and Sharon Harris. They may be assisted by other professional artists, Gallery Owners and Art Insiders when available. Mr. Harris holds a seat on the board of directors of CONTEMPORARY ART GALLERY ONLINE. Mr. Harris has been an astute art collector for the last 40 years. His personnel collection, includes works from the around the world. Ms. Harris also hold a seat on the board of directors of CONTEMPORARY ART GALLERY ONLINE. She also is an astute art collector, and is the Curator for the Gallery. Barbori Streibl and Kelsey Hails are Assistant Curators for the Gallery and both artists. Anisa Harris is the social media and marketing director for the Gallery. Portia Webb is the Gallery Chief Correspondent and Editor.
14. Use Rights
Artists who submit their artwork to Contemporary Art Gallery Online website for any competition and have any of their submitted artwork chosen for participation in that competition agree to the following;
- That Contemporary Art Gallery Online be granted usage of the chosen artwork only for display, marketing and promotional purposes for that, and for any future Contemporary Art Gallery Online themed art show(s) and that usage of that image is limited to Contemporary Art Gallery Online press releases, Contemporary Art Gallery Online event presentations, Contemporary Art Gallery Online articles, Contemporary Art Gallery Online graphics, Contemporary Art Gallery Online slide shows, Contemporary Art Gallery Online presentations, Contemporary Art Gallery Online event materials and for use on Contemporary Art Gallery Online website.
- The artist further agrees that Contemporary Art Gallery Online can maintain an archive of the chosen artwork for the purpose of a historical documentation and as a record of past themed shows. This archive will be available for public viewing and be limited to Contemporary Art Gallery Online website (www.contemporaryartgalleryonline.com).
- Contemporary Art Gallery Online will credit each image creator with their Artist Name and Image.
- Otherwise, the Artist shall maintain all copyrights of any images that are submitted to Contemporary Art Gallery Online.
- Any images not selected for participation in any Contemporary Art Gallery Online art shows may be removed from Contemporary Art Gallery Online and www.contemporaryartgalleryonline.com servers after sixty (60) days from the date of the deadline of the ’s published results.
- All images contained herein or attached to this website are the property of the artist and the artist retains the sole copyright and all applicable rights to said images. No images may be copied or downloaded from this website
- By entering this , you are granting Contemporary Art Gallery Online a non-exclusive, perpetual license to reproduce images of your artwork for the sole purpose of advertising this Art Competition and your work.
By entering any Art Competition sponsored by Contemporary Art Gallery Online, you are granting Contemporary Art Gallery Online a non-exclusive, perpetual license to sell the original artwork for a fee. Such fees include but are not limited to:
- 30% commission
- 3.9% credit card processing fee
- Any and all unforeseen costs that may arise during the sell transaction.
- Any and all promotional and advertising costs are assumed by Contemporary Art Gallery Online.
16. Email Subscription
Artist agrees and understands that by submitting their artwork to Contemporary Art Gallery Online that they are opting in and will be placed as a Gallery Subscriber and will receive future email announcements and email notices from us. If you want to be removed from this Email Subscriber List, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will remove you immediately from all future email messages from the Gallery.
17. General Conditions
In the event that the operation, security, or administration of the Art Competition is impaired in any way for any reason, including, but not limited to fraud, virus, bug, worm, unauthorized human intervention or other technical problem, or in the event the Art Competition is unable to run as planned for any other reason, as determined by Sponsor in its sole discretion, the Sponsor may, in its sole discretion, either (a) suspend the Art Competition to address the impairment and then resume the Art Competition in a manner that best conforms to the spirit of these Official Rules or (b) terminate the Art Competition and, in the event of termination, refund all entry fees paid. The Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Art Competition or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to damage the website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Art Competition may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Sponsor reserves the right to seek damages (including attorneys fees) and any other remedies from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. Failure by the Sponsor to enforce any provision of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
18. Release and Limitations of Liability
By participating in the Art Competition, entrants agree to release and hold harmless the Sponsor, and each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, other companies associated with the Art Competition, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, shareholders, representatives, and agents (the Released Parties) from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation in the Art Competition or receipt or use of the prize (including any travel or activity related thereto), including, but not limited to: (a) any technical errors associated with the Art Competition, including lost, interrupted or unavailable Internet Service Provider (ISP), network, server, wireless service provider, or other connections, availability or accessibility or miscommunications or failed computer, satellite, telephone, cellular tower or cable transmissions, lines, or technical failure or jumbled, scrambled, delayed, or misdirected transmissions or computer hardware or software malfunctions, failures or difficulties; (b) unauthorized human intervention in the Art Competition; (c) mechanical, network, electronic, computer, human, printing or typographical errors; (d)application downloads, (e) any other errors or problems in connection with the Art Competition, including, without limitation, errors that may occur in the administration of the Art Competition, the announcement of the winner, the cancellation or postponement of the event and/or the flyover, if applicable, the incorrect downloading of the application the processing of entries application downloadsor in any Art Competition-related materials; or (f) injury, death, losses or damages of any kind, to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrants participation in the Art Competition or acceptance, receipt or misuse of the prize (including any travel or activity related thereto). Entrant further agrees that in any cause of action, the Released Parties liability will be limited to the cost of entering and participating in the Art Competition, and in no event shall the entrant be entitled to receive attorneys fees. Released Parties are also not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by site users, tampering, hacking, or by any equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Art Competition. Entrant waives the right to claim any damages whatsoever, including, but not limited to, punitive, consequential, direct, or indirect damages.
Except where prohibited, each entrant agrees that any and all disputes, claims and causes of action arising out of, or connected with, the Art Competition or any prize awarded shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and exclusively by the appropriate court located in Maryland. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, entrants rights and obligations, or the rights and obligations of the Sponsor in connection with the Art Competition, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with, the laws of Maryland, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules, which would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than Maryland.
21. Winner List
To retrieve the name of the winner, go online and click on the Tab entitled Art Competition Winners. The Winner List will be available two weeks after the close date.
22. Inclusion to Art Competitions
To be included to any and all competitions, the above listed rules must be agreed and adhered to.